Friday, September 14, 2012

Dirty 30


My awesome friend Kara is joining me in the ranks of 30 year olds today!!!  Recently, she asked me to give her my recipe for pesto, so what better day to oblige than on her 30th birthday?!?!  I will be celebrating with her in person tomorrow, but for now this can be an early birthday shout out to my dear friend.


Kara says hi!!!






Kara says she loves you!!!

JJ got jealous cause he loves his Aunt Kara and wants all her attention!


Sorry, I'll try to control myself better. Traditionally pesto includes 5 main ingredients: basil, pine nuts, garlic, olive oil, and parmesan.  Here's the thing I love about it though....if you don't have fresh basil you can always substitute with things like spinach, arugula, or cilantro.  This works out perfectly when you realize you aren't going to be able to eat that last bit of whatever leafy green you may have in your fridge before it goes bad.  If you don't have pine nuts, I've also substituted almonds or walnuts.  Here is my very basic pesto recipe, feel free to jazz it up however you choose!  Add lemon juice, or jalapeño for some kick, go crazy!

Pesto:

*2 cups basil- I grow my own in summer and in winter I sub spinach and/or arugula to save some $
*1/3 cup pine nuts
*4 cloves garlic- more if you like to keep the vampires away, less if you have a crush on Eric Northman from True Blood
*1/2-2/3 cup olive oil
*1/4 cup parmesan cheese (optional)

Puree all ingredients in a food processor.  I recommend you start with 1/2 cup olive oil and blend.  You can always add more if you think its too thick.  

Presto you have Pesto!  You can use it on pasta, on bread as an appetizer, on pizza, or mixed in mayo and then spread on a sandwich.  Make some soon! You won't be sorry!  As for today's song of the day, I have to make it Chamillionaire- Ridin' Dirty because a few years ago this was the ring tone I had set for Kara.  No real reason other than she is just that awesome!  I should also mention that Kara and I like to try on different outfits and make Kraut take pictures of our fashion show.  Its totally his new favorite past time (extreme sarcasm here).  Anyway, here are some of our many pics....








~Crawfish

1 comment:

  1. Making my pesto now!!!! I'm so excited! However I love Eric Northman AND garlic.... scary combo... but I guess between the garlic and resending my invitation to Eric to get him out the house I should be covered! Thanks Jess!!!

    ReplyDelete