Sunday, May 22, 2011

Southernism


Every time I go to the grocery store with Kraut we have the same discussion....it never fails at some point I refer to our cart as a "buggy." Its usually along the lines of "grab a buggy", or "here can you push the buggy", or "I'll return the buggy"and without fail he tells me he doesn't see a horse and buggy or a baby buggy anywhere nearby. He thinks he is so funny every time! I think when we have kids I'm going to make sure that they use the word buggy instead of shopping cart just to get him back. While I suppose I see his northern view point because he didn't grow up using that term, how is the shopping buggy really different from saying horse and buggy or baby buggy? Couldn't buggy be replaced with the term cart in both of those instances as well? I suppose I'm just looking for some reassurance that I'm not the only one out there who says this (I at least know my mom is on my side on this one)!!! Not that I'll ever stop saying this, that is about as likely as getting me to use the word pop or soda....every southerner knows they are all Cokes ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment