Wednesday, July 27, 2011

L.A. Caviar

I haven't written very much lately because I've been busy traveling, packing, unpacking, doing laundry, trying to play catch up, and working to keep our plants alive in this heat! Meanwhile, Kraut has been busy traveling, packing, unpacking, doing laundry, trying to play catch up, mowing the lawn, and taking care of me when I was sick with another stupid sinus infection!!!

After Germany, we took a trip up to Michigan for the 4th to visit my best friend and to escape some of this crazy summer heat we are enduring down here in Memphis. It was a really nice trip. We went to the beach in Grand Haven, watched the musical fountain and fireworks, and attended a couple of cook outs. When the question came up of what to bring, I told her to leave it to me!

When I got married my mom made me a handwritten cookbook with a lot of her recipes and one of them that is perfect for bringing as a side or dip is "L.A. Caviar". In this case, L.A. stands for "Lower Alabama", and it is actually my Aunt's recipe that my mom really likes. I've also heard people call it Cowboy Caviar, but regardless of the name, the fact is every time I make this dish its a hit. I've made it for a get together at our house, brought it to a work potluck, and we took it 2 to cookouts over the 4th. On each occasion I've had to give out the recipe. So, it only makes sense that I post it here for anyone who wants it in the future! It is super easy to make and only requires you to be able to chop. Plus, you don't have to worry about heating it up or about it spoiling if it sits out for a bit. Football season is right around the corner....did someone say tailgate?





L.A. Caviar (courtesy of my Aunt Nadine)

Ingredients:
3 (15 oz) cans plain black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1/4 cup chopped yellow pepper
1/4 cup chopped orange pepper
1/2 cup halved grape tomatoes or quartered cherry tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons sugar
salt and pepper to taste

1. Combine peas, onion, peppers, tomatoes, parsley, vinegar, oil, and sugar
2. Season with salt and pepper
3. Marinate for 12-24 hours before serving
4. Serve with tortilla chips (or you can just serve as a side, I can definitely eat this with a spoon!)

This is easy, healthy, yummy, and pretty too! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment